Small Basic Forum
How to think correctly? - Printable Version

+- Small Basic Forum (https://litdev.uk/mybb)
+-- Forum: Small Basic (https://litdev.uk/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Discussion (https://litdev.uk/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: How to think correctly? (/showthread.php?tid=108)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

How to think correctly? - AbsoluteBeginner - 07-23-2024

(translated by Google translator)

Hi all.
Friends, I started this topic because it concerns not only each of us, but also Small Basic.

This concerns us because each of us would like to live among SMART people. If there is someone here who are pleased with current a huge number of problems caused by human stupidity, then let this person write about it here. Because I have never met such a person before.

At the same time, our Small Basic has a very good chance of helping many people learn to think correctly.
Even now Small BASIC is easy to use and has great capabilities. The fact that now everyone can create programs in their native language using Aliases in the SB-Prime editor is an incredible achievement.

But, there remains one more big obstacle that does not allow many people to learn how to PROGRAM first the behavior of a computer, and then the sequence of events in their lives. This obstacle is the inability of some people to visualize in their minds the structure they require. ( I mean a structure into which various objects are combined that are necessary to achieve a goal. )

That's why I suggest talking about the program creation tool using DIAGRAM.

I have a program development environment in which I can create executable files by placing icons of various objects on the canvas and drawing the necessary connections between them.
In addition to executable files, I can convert the logic depicted in the diagram into source code for any programming language.
If I use such a diagram, then I do not need to have the natural ability to see in my mind's eye (see in my mind) large enough sections of the structure of software objects. Using a diagram, I can always easily trace the connections between objects and the sequence of actions in the program I am creating.

It’s hard for me to explain in words all the benefits of using such a diagram.
If you are also sure that DRAWING programs will be much easier for ordinary people than WRITING code using tedious lines of text, then tell me.
Then I will continue my story about the diagram in detail and with illustrations.  Shy

Thank you.

RE: How to think correctly? - z-s - 07-23-2024

Great Idea How It Comes Into Your Mind Smile
It Will Be Very Fun & Interesting Making Applications By Drawing Other Than Writing.
I Got Searched Your Idea It Is Know As Code visualization.
In Our SB-Prime There Is Function Of Seeing Code Into Diagrams We Would Have To Reverse It.

RE: How to think correctly? - litdev - 07-23-2024

Sounds like Scratch

RE: How to think correctly? - z-s - 07-23-2024

But Scratch Is Block Coding I Use To Code In It Before I Found Small Basic.

RE: How to think correctly? - AbsoluteBeginner - 07-23-2024

(07-23-2024, 04:24 PM)litdev Wrote: Sounds like Scratch

No, this is completely different.
Tell me, can I continue describing the idea, or do you immediately refuse to discuss this way of creating programs?

Blush

Sorry I misunderstood, carry on describing you idea.  Not something I would probably want to implement, but fun to hear the idea Wink  .  

Maybe it sounds like 'visual workflows' (google these), quite popular as a way for non-programmers to 'code' logic pictorially; I have used these a bit and as a programmer I find them slow, awkward, hard to edit!

(07-23-2024, 04:50 PM)litdev Wrote: Sorry I misunderstood, carry on describing you idea.  Not something I would probably want to implement, but fun to hear the idea Wink

For now, I’m only dreaming of being able to convert a diagram into Small BASIC source code.  Rolleyes
I just wanted to see if this idea is interesting to our community.

If you don't mind, I'll start preparing illustrations for my next post.

Here is the first “touch on the portrait” of my idea.
Don't deny it right away. You can't criticize an unfinished picture.  Big Grin

Let's start with the classic "Hello, World!"
Look at these two screenshots and tell me which way of creating code will be more interesting for beginners?
This?

Or this one?

( I remind you that this is just the beginning )

Interesting for beginners - maybe the boxes, I don't know.

If you want to learn to program, then the text one 100% every time, no question.

That's one of the main things that attracted me to Small Basic, maybe also why Scratch is very popular and SB isn't.

For me it's about learning to progam, algorithms, making it do what you want the most efficient way, sorry.

RE: How to think correctly? - z-s - 07-24-2024

First Point : I Think This Thing Is Just For Very Beginner Even Smaller Than Age Of 6-7 Years Because This Would Be Extremely Time Consuming And We Have To Think A Lot To Program.

Second Point : If Someone Know English That Will Be Better To If We Let Him Learn By Typing Rather Than Making Diagrams And Structures.
But At Most This Idea Is Good Till We Are Making Small Programs But If Suppose We Are Making A Big Size Program A 100 Lines Of Code IN Small Basic Then I Think It Would Be Almost 20 Paged Diagram If We Use Detailed Threading and programing.

Third Point : This Point Is Most Useful Which I Also Thought When I Was Creating The Native Language Coding Program In Small Basic I Thought I Am Creating This Program For Small Basic So That People Can Code In Their Native Language But Would It Be Possible If That Graduate To A High Level Programing Language Like CSharp Or VB.Net Would I Be Able To Convert The So Much Rich And Powerful Language Syntax So That The Can Also Be Written In Native Language VERY HARD.
So Your Idea Also Sticks On This Place It Could Only Be Use In Small Basic And Also In Only Small Programs.

Conclusion : So In My Opinion This Idea Is Good For Very Small Kids Who Even Don't Know Block Coding And Also A Good Idea For Fun And Teaching Programing From "Scratch" And Also Good For Attracting Peoples Towards Small Basic.

Hope It Sound's Well Smile