We would like to build a community for Small Basic programmers of any age who like to code. Everyone from total beginner to guru is welcome. Click here to register and share your programming journey!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Microsoft Small Basic User Questionair
Exclamation 
Update

Hey
Guests please take a moment to complete a small survey about Small Basic.

Follow the link below.

***** Questionair *****

Original Post

I am thinking about creating a questionair to try to get feedback from SB users out there that are not currently engaged.

I want it to be completely annonymous with results fully shared.  Using Google Forms, respondants do need to be logged in with a Google account, although their details are not recorded.  Any opinions welcome on this.

I want it to be fairly short - here it is at the moment in link below.  At this stage I am looking for ideas or suggestions for the questionair rather than replies to it.

Once we have a form that asks what what we want and has the right tone we can try to advertise it a bit.

Questionair

EDIT

Thanks for feed back - updating with your thoughts...

We know Facebook group has 1500 members and only a couple active contributors.  We can also see that programs published there only get a handful of imports, sometimes none.  On this forum we currently have 34 members and only a few regularly active, but most of the time there are more than 10 guests viewing.

My main question is: Are there a large number of users out there or not, and if there is why isn't there more engagement - as a comminity what are we not doing or doing wrong?
[-] The following 2 users Like litdev's post:
  • AbsoluteBeginner, z-s
Very good Idea I read all questions but not filled form.
My opinion is to add some questions about
1)extension
2)do you use any community for errors or doubt.
ZS
[-] The following 1 user Likes z-s's post:
  • litdev
This is a very good idea that can be refined in the future, for example to suit user requirements.

I assume that MSDN is too general in the first question.

My first contact was: PC Magazine -> SmallBasic Homepage -> Forum
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scout's post:
  • litdev
(translated by Google translator)

I filled out my form.  Shy
Additionally, I can say that it was the ability to use Aliases in SB-Prime that turned programming from work into pleasure for me.
Aliases have removed a huge hurdle for many children who now find programming much easier to use.

I am very grateful to LitDev.  Exclamation
I filled from
ZS
(06-23-2024, 12:43 PM)litdev Wrote: My main question is: Are there a large number of users out there or not, and if there is why isn't there more engagement - as a comminity what are we not doing or doing wrong?

Hello,

There should be a large number of Small Basic users but only 36 people registered at this forum. I believe that making this forum look more interesting is very important for attracting other Small Basic users to be willing to register. I suggest these two sub-forums:

a. "Other Programming Languages": members will be able to read discussions about other languages including other BASIC dialects. Members will gain knowledge of other programming languages and the whole forum will become much more attractive. 

b. "Everything Else": members can therefore discuss non-programming topics here. Actually, many language forums have this type of sub-forum. This sub-forum may make many our members visit the forum each day. The whole member community will be more close. Just like a big family.

As a result, the whole forum will be more active. No doubt. Smile
Maybe we could add this forum link in GitHub repository of small basic as many people including me i discovered SB from there for first time.
ZS
Any guest please signup to form as every time 10 guest are online.
ZS
eddylo,

My strategy is to help where we can and if people want help or to contribute to a community they will.

In the meantime, just carry on adding quality content and a community may grow organically.

The main idea is about Small Basic and I don't want to dilute or deviate much from that.  We have the C# section for moving on from Small Basic which covers this area and the Discussion section covers anything not covered elsewhere.

We could have an Anything Else section, but at the moment I don't see a need.

I don't think more sections makes it more interesting - its the Small Basic related stuff that is important.

The fact we get a good number of Guests is good, they are probably coming back several times so when they have a question or want to join they will.  Naturally we get people that have good SB experience to start with - maybe we need more basic examples and projects.

I don't have access to add any links to Small Basic on GitHub - There is a limited number of places people can look for SB support and most should find us here.
[-] The following 2 users Like litdev's post:
  • AbsoluteBeginner, z-s
(translated by Google translator)

Most likely, our forum is more like a Golf Club, where connoisseurs of the game Golf specifically gather.
Or it could become like the Technical Modeling Club, where people create their own "models" of complex machines using simple tools and materials.
Small Basic is a tool for learning and creativity.  Rolleyes
Therefore, only creative people and those who are just starting to learn to program will come here.
It is unlikely that our forum will ever be as crowded as the Christmas market.
As in aircraft modeling clubs, the largest number of people will be able to gather with us ONLY COMPETITIONS of “models” created by club members.  Shy

It seems so to me.