We would like to build a community for Small Basic programmers of any age who like to code. Everyone from total beginner to guru is welcome. Click here to register and share your programming journey!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to think correctly?
There are many reasons why so few people appear to be learning to code with SB.  We have no idea what these reasons may be.

If some-one wants to learn to program, then they should do some programming, share their work, get feedback, ask questions and do lots of practice - just like learning to do anything.

We are here to help, but in the end they have to want to learn by doing - no alternative.

Maybe we should do more programming and less worrying about those that aren't.
(08-11-2024, 03:47 PM)litdev Wrote: ...
Maybe we should do more programming and less worrying about those that aren't.

I can't.  Sad
My body itself falls onto the bed or hides under the table when it hears the sound of a rocket flying past.
I can't just sit and do nothing, watching how the STUPIDITY of people leads us to death.

As long as I believe that PROGRAMMING (not coding, but CREATING an algorithm) makes people smarter, I will try to help every person.
( You yourself will despise me if I stop doing this  Undecided  )
[-] The following 1 user Likes AbsoluteBeginner's post:
  • litdev
Hi all.  Smile

Yesterday I managed to study the diagram editor "draw.io" in more detail and found there excellent opportunities for easy output of SB code to a text file.  Tongue

Now we can easily insert fragments of SB code into any place of a diagram of any type and then the Utility will easily collect these fragments into one whole original SB code and save it.

Today I will try to make the necessary changes to the Diagram of the program "nanoExcel", which is in my cloud, and show it to you.

I don't see any difficulties in creating a Utility.
I think the Utility will be ready this week.

Hooray !!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes AbsoluteBeginner's post:
  • z-s
(translated by Google translator)

I added a new screenshot to my OneDrive (#08). https://1drv.ms/f/s!AnoSlTzMqlL6jNo8-mr8...Q?e=Rv5dFf

The screenshot shows a tooltip that shows the value of the new "CodeBlockNumber" parameter that I created for each piece of SB code in the diagram.
It's very easy to create custom parameters for chart shapes.
To do this, you must select the shape and press "Ctrl + M" on the keyboard ( or select "Edit Data" in the "Edit" menu ).

Since the Diagram itself is an xml file and can be specially saved in xml format, our Utility will be able to find figures with SB code, copy the text of this code and collect it into one text file of the source code of the future SB program.

But the most valuable thing in this information is that THE DIAGRAM CAN BE ANYTHING Exclamation .
  • It can contain code fragments written in any other programming languages.
  • This could be a "Mind Map" Diagram, which contains fragments of Instructions for a person's future actions.
  • This could be a Process Flow Diagram.
  • This could be a project of a report, where the Diagram displays the logical sequence of the report, and hidden text fragments contain specific information for each section.

In all these cases, AFTER FINISHING the planning of the sequence of actions using the Diagram, we will receive at the output one finished document, which contains the text fragments specified in the Diagram, arranged in the sequence we need.

That's why I want to teach as many people as possible to use Diagrams to create Algorithms in Small Basic.
Because a person who knows how to use Diagrams to create an Algorithm for his future program will be able to create an Algorithm for his future actions Exclamation .
An action plan for achieving a complex goal created using a Diagram will inevitably be better than an action plan created simply in the mind.
This means that there will be more positive results. That is, at least a few people on the planet will become smarter.

Hi all.  Smile
Yesterday I had an unexpected and pleasant discovery.

It turns out that if you don't have to follow a lot of rules when drawing an algorithm diagram, then the process of creating the diagram becomes easy, fun, and enjoyable.

I started using the new principle of creating a diagram right now, in order to write a Utility for extracting the SB code from the xml code of the Diagram.
It is incredibly comfortable to draw the Diagram the way you like it.
You don't need to learn any rules. You don't need to remember these rules and follow them.
You only need to insert a container with a SB code block into the desired place in the Diagram and write the Number of this block into the container property.
Then the utility will arrange all the code blocks in the output text file in ascending order of the numbers specified in the properties of each container, and you will get a single source code of the program.

I will soon post screenshots and files on my OneDrive that will demonstrate the development process.
The value of this is that I myself am a real beginner and making an xml file processing program for the first time in my life.
I personally know how a beginner feels when starting a new project.  Shy

Hi all.  Smile
I added two files to my OneDrive: " Diagram to SB utility v0030.sb " and " SB Diagram 05.drawio ".

In the current version, the Utility successfully extracts SB code blocks from the Diagram and assembles them into a single text.
This text is displayed in the Utilities window.
The text can be viewed, edited, copied and pasted into SB-Prime or saved in a text file.

For now the utility looks like this.
But, naturally, it will be changed if any errors are found or ideas for its improvement are suggested.

Shy